[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: info on proposed SSL protocol and Netscape implementation

----------
| From: Mary Ellen Zurko  <zurko@osf.org>
| To:  <www-security@ns1.rutgers.edu>
| Cc: Me  <zurko@osf.org>;  <hallam@dxal18.cern.ch>
| Subject: Re: info on proposed SSL protocol and Netscape implementation
| Date: Monday, November 28, 1994 12:13PM
|

| Our approach is similar to SSL's, in that the security occurs at the
| transport layer.

Aren't you being a little ambiguous in saying that "security" occurs at
the transport layer?  Actually, _authentication_ (via ACLs) is done at
the (RPC) transport layer, and _authorization_ is done at the
application layer.

Also, I thought that DCE had been shipping with these features for a
couple of years?

Paul